Raychem self-regulating electric heat trace cables automatically adjust their power output to compensate for temperature changes. Heat is generated as electric current passes through the conductive polymer core between the conductors. As the temperature drops, the number of electrical paths through the core increases and more heat is produced. Conversely, as the temperature rises, the core has fewer electrical paths and less heat is produced.
Raychem self-regulating heat trace cables:
- Are ideal for applications such as: Rail Heating, Platform Snow Melting De-Icing, Railcar Door Threshold De-Icing, and Door Guides De-Icing
- Have a cross-linked, conductive polymer core forming a parallel circuit
- Can be cut to length, spliced or repaired on site
- Are protected by a tinned-copper braid encased in a thick modified polyolefin outer jacket, making it rugged enough for all direct buried snow melting and anti-icing applications
- Include state-of-the-art connection kits and accessories
Power Limiting Technology
Raychem power-limiting electric heat trace cables are ideal for rail heating applications requiring high power output and/or high temperature exposure.
Raychem power-limiting heat trace cables:
- Are ideal for applications such as: Rail Heating, Railcar Door Threshold De-Icing, and Door Guides De-Icing
- Can be used at voltages up to 750 V at power output up to 40W/ft
- Can be cut-to-length
- Can be overlapped once for ease of installation
Series Resistance Technology
Raychem series-resistance electric heat trace cables can be used when circuit lengths exceed the ratings of conventional parallel-resistance heating cables and a single power source is needed.
Raychem series-resistance heat trace cables:
- Are ideal for applications such as: Rail Heating, Catenary Contact Wire De-Icing, and Platform Snow Melting De-Icing
- Are available in a single conductor configuration for single- or three phase system design
- Have resistance conductors that are electrically insulated with high-temperature, heavy-wall fluoropolymers; an optional grounding braid; and a final fluoropolymer jacket
- Are capable of circuit lengths up to 10,000 feet (3048 m) with one power supply point, and voltages up to 600 Vac
- Require engineering design by Pentair Thermal Management since the wattage output depends on the total circuit length and the voltage applied
Mineral Insulated (MI) Technology
Pyrotenax mineral insulated electric heat trace cables are designed to provide constant power for a wide range of commercial applications.
Pyrotenax mineral insulated heat trace cables:
- Are ideal for Switch Point Heating, Platform Snow Melting De-Icing, Railcar Door Threshold De-Icing, and Door Guides De-Icing
- Consist of a single or dual conductor heating element, magnesium oxide insulation, a solid metal sheath, and an extruded high density polyethylene (HDPE) jacket. The HDPE jacket protects the copper sheath from corrosive elements that can exist in surface snow melting applications.
- Are supplied as complete factory-fabricated assemblies consisting of a heating section that is joined to a non-heating cold lead and terminated with NPT-threaded connectors.
- Can be custom engineered. Simply contact Pentair Thermal Management for more information.
Skin-Effect Heat Tracing Systems Technology
Tracer STS skin-effect heat tracing is a versatile engineered heat management system that is ideal at delivering heat for medium to long circuit length snow melting/de-icing applications.
Tracer STS skin-effect heat trace cables:
- Are ideal for Running Rail De-Icing, and Platform Snow Melting De-Icing
- Are custom engineered to minimize the number of power supply points required
Advanced Control Systems
Pentair Thermal Management offers a number of advanced control systems for snow melting systems. All controllers are designed specifically for use with the Raychem self-regulating and Pyrotenax MI heat trace cables.
ETI Snow melting controllers
ETI APS series automatic snow melting controllers:
- Trigger the system to energize when both moisture and low temperatures are detected
- Are scalable for large installations and can utilize multiple sensors to provide zone control for maximum energy efficiency
DigiTrace ACCS-30 electronic controllers
DigiTrace ACCS-30 electronic controllers are more advanced multipoint electronic control and monitoring systems that let you:
- Control up to 260 heating cable circuits from a single point of interface
- Control other Pentair Thermal Management heat tracing applications, such as freeze protection, hot water temperature maintenance, roof and gutter de-icing, surface snow melting and floor heating from a single user interface; and work in conjunction with the APS series
Additionally, DigiTrace ACCS-30 controllers provide:
- Multiple temperature sensors
- Ground-fault protection
- Alarm contacts
- Building Management System (BMS) integration
Power Distribution System
For installations that require a power distribution system, Pentair Thermal Management offers the DigiTrace SMPG series of power distribution and control panels. The DigiTrace SMPG panels are designed for either single-phase or three-phase circuits and integrate a snow melting controller that can utilize multiple sensors.
The SMPG panels provide:
- Multiple sensor inputs
- Ground-fault protection
- Alarm contacts