Snow and ice buildup can be hazardous, and can interfere with rail infrastructure, transit equipment, operations, and service.
Rail & Mass Transit De-Icing and Heating Systems
Pentair Thermal Management, and our strategic partners, provide full engineering support and solutions for rail heating, snow melting and de-icing for a variety of transit applications.
Typical infrastructure applications include:
- Rail Heating: Prevents ice from forming on contact rails and running rails
- Switch Point Heating: Prevents snow and ice build-up between the stock and switch rails, ensuring a functional signaling system and reducing the risk of derailment.
- Catenary Contact Wire De-Icing: Prevents ice from forming on overhead catenary contact wires used for light rail and trolleys, reducing service interruptions and eliminating maintenance hours for ice removal.
- Platform Snow Melting and De-Icing: Prevents the accumulation of snow or ice on the platform, providing a safer environment and eliminates the need for snow removal chemicals and salt
Typical moving stock applications include:
- Railcar Door Threshold De-Icing: Eliminates ice build-up and slip hazards at door thresholds.
- Door Guides De-Icing: Prevents doors from sticking due to ice build-up in the door guides
- Railcar Space and Floor Heating: Heats the floor and railcar space to provide comfort heating to passengers. Designed to operate up to 750 VDC, the systems include attachment methodology and control schemes.
Heat Management System Approach
Pentair Thermal Management offers rail and mass transit de-icing as a complete heat management system which includes the selection of appropriate heat trace cable technologies and advanced control system technologies, in addition to turnkey services.
Additionally, RTR Technologies is a Pentair Thermal Management partner providing value-added de-icing systems for the rail and mass-transit market.
Heat Trace System
- Electric heat trace cables – heat trace cables that are specifically engineered to meet your de-icing requirements, such as Raychem self-regulating, power limiting or constant wattage, or Pyrotenax mineral insulated heat trace cables
- Connection kits and accessories – items for making electrical connections and properly completing the installation, such as power connection and end seal kits, junction boxes, and caution signs
- Advanced control systems – devices such as sensing thermostats and controllers, monitor and/or control the heat trace cable to help maintain the temperature of the surface
- Power distribution system – electric panels for installations that require power distribution with single-phase or three-phase circuits
When our advanced products are combined with our services, you get an integrated solution that is strategically planned and executed for an optimum heat management system (HMS). By managing and executing all aspects of the heat trace system design and installation, we provide a single interface to your project team.